Fever and leg pain. Urine test showed pus cells and gram positive cocci in pairs. Meaning?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Few pus cells, few gram positive COCCI in pairs, chains what does this mean Doctor in urine culture report.
I am having fever and leg pain.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 36 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, cocci are the bacteria causing infection. Now, gram positive means the bacteria take positive staining in gram stain.

Now, bacetria can be found normally in urine. But, its number is important. In your case, i think it is not upto the XXXXXXX to call it an bacterial infection. But, your symptoms are quite suggestive. May be, it is the early stage. If the patient is on catheterization, then, it is very natural to have these bacteria in urine.

What you have to do is to consult with your treating doctor for clinical correlation. If the sensitivity test has been done, appropriate drug has to be given to control the infection. If the sensitivity test has not been done, then broad spectrum antibiotic should be given presumptively.

For leg pain, and fever, you can take nonsteroidal anti inflammatory agent like paracetamol. You have to take a Pantoprazole group of drug.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.