Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Felt sore lump on chest bone. Is this the cause for concern?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
The middle top bone in my just. I have a sore lump. To the touch That's my chest bone.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems that you might be having a chest wall infection either of the rib bones ( costochondritis ) or soft tissues ( abscess ) .
However in order to guide you appropriately it would be kind of you to provide few more details as , the onset duration and progress of your pain and swelling , Any history of injury ?Wether any investigation done or medications you are taking ? Etc
As of now if you have just noticed a sore lump in your rib bone then it could be a costochondritis and which can resolve with analgesics and anti inflammatory medicines ( acetaminophen , ibuprofen etc)
It's best to get it examined by your doctor to confirm the diagnosis( by tests like X-ray chest etc) rule out any infection so that appropriate treatment can be started . It's not advisable to neglect your symptoms as it may worsen with time .
Hope this information helps you .
Please let me know if you have any further doubts .
Awaiting your response ,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor