Felt something choking in throat. Difficulty to speak or swallow. Safe to take mucain gel and hifenac?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,
Last night, when having dinner, suddenly felt something choking my throat. Drank plenty of water, still irritation and pain continued. Visited a doctor immediately. He has prescribed Mucain gel and Hifenac tablet stating it could be an infection. I can sense a small boil in my throat and its pricking badly. Cant speak or swallow food properly. Are these medications good enough or should I take a second consultation with another doctor.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should see another doctor, especially an ENT Specialist. Get your throat and larynx examined by a video-laryngoscope. This would also help rule out any associated conditions. Ask for a chest auscultation, Chest X-ray and a Barium Swallow Study.

2. It is rare that a throat infection will present so suddenly with a choking sensation. A foreign body somewhere in the throat is more likely. What is more important is getting the area of the throat that is pricking to be examined by endoscopy. Multiple passes and indirect evidence such as lacerations, bleeding or a visible foreign body may help find it. It is also unlikely to be in the airway, as the spasms and coughing would be very violent. What kind of food were you having for dinner? Was it at home or in a restaurant? Sometimes the injury causes by the temporary hold up of a foreign body may persist long after it has been swallowed. If, so then the Mucaine gel and Hifenac will help soothe the throat, otherwise these medications will mask the symptoms.

3. The cricopharynx (upper opening of the food pipe / esophagus) is the narrowest part of the gut. Once the food has passed through this area, it passes through the entire gut in a couple of days.

4. Foreign bodies, however are notorious for bizarre presentations. Sometimes I have removed utensil cleaning material and other unimaginable objects. It is better to go through this simple examinations to remove all doubt. These conditions are worsened by acid reflux and stress. A flexible endoscopy may be suggested by your physician, concentrating around the region of discomfort on the right side.

5. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. I just visited a ENT specialist. She examined the throat area and confirmed that there are no obstructing particles. It's infected. She has prescribed
1.pan 40 (empty stomach)
2.Dolo (for pain)
3.Tantum oral rinse
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 59 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. It is good to hear that there is no foreign body.

2. The infection must be mild because two doctors have not prescribed any antibiotic in spite of seeing an infection.

Regards.