Felt rapid heartbeat for few second. Should I be worried?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Hey, im XXXXXXX and my heart just beat faster for two second and went back to normal...
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 33 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Fast heart beats need to be documented by ElectroCardioGram (ECG / EKG).
They can be from ventricle (lower chamber) or Atrium (upper chamber). They are often harmless – ‘benign’; yet they need investigations further.

The first step is to SEE A CARDIOLOGIST / GO TO ER
__________________________________________________
Anxiety / Alcohol / Tobacco (smoking, chewing) / Caffeine (too much coffee, cola) are common causes.
Medicines may be responsible – like phenlephrine, pseudoephedrine used for ‘cold’ / salbutamol, salmeterol used for asthma / Illicit ‘drugs’ like amphetamine are notorious to cause abnormal beats
Rarely, there are abnormal nerve paths (pass tracts) in the heart, causing this.
____________________________________________________

Though they may be normal in many, it is advisable to investigate.
A thorough history and physical examination is the first step -
     Routine 12-lead Electrocardiogram (ECG) is part of clinical examination.
     If a routine ECG does not show, 24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring (Holter) is done to analyse and plan for further management
     ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (Mitral Valve Prolapse) / heart muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality).
     Treadmill exercise ECG (TMT) is done to exclude Ischemia (reduced blood flow)
     Laboratory work-up is routine - like blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes (potassium in particular), thyroid (over active) etc. Your doctor will suggest based on his examination.

There are advanced techniques of investigations of increasing complexity (some of them invasive), depending on need. The treating doctor may suggest them based on the situation.
In view of your young age and no significant illness so far – probability of a heart disease is far less.
______________________________________________________________

A specific treatment for the beats may often not be necessary.
A specific treatment demands specific diagnosis...
     Several classes of drugs are available – - acting by different mechanisms - the specialist will decide tailored to the individual.
.      Your doctor will give proper prescription and follow up

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck