Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Felt popping sound and tightness in finger after bending hands. What should I do to get cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14968 Questions
I do alot of repetive motion at my job and today at work, I bent my right hand slighty forward and I felt a pop. I feel something (sort of like a tightness) in my index and ring finger and going up the underside of my forearm and up to my elbow. I can open and close my hand okay and I don't have any numbness or sharp pain. All I feel is that I did something to it. I have iced it and taken ibroprofen. I'm not sure what I did or what I should do to treat it.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Bending the hands forward is a described as flexion. Flexion of the fingers and wrist can involve alot of muscles which start in the forearm.There are 6 main muscles in total that are involved in flexing the fingers and flexing at the wrist.
You stated that you bent your hand forward, of those six muscles, 3 are important in flexion at the wrist, the others will work on the fingers.

It is possible with repetitive movement, that you may have slightly sprained one of these muscles.It would only be possible to identify which muscle on examination.
In general treatment of any muscle injury involves what is termed as RICE: this consists of (1) R: rest the area that is affected, at the moment it is not causing you any significant pain, however, if possible you should consider reducing movements for at least today (2) I:ice compression - applying an ice pack prevents and reduces any swelling, you have already done this (3)C: compression- this is used if there is any swelling, if swelling should develop than a bandage can be wrapped tightly to reduce the swelling (4)E: elevation- this is also used if swelling occurred.

At present , you can continue to employ these methods,if any pain develops or any restriction of movement then you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor