Felt cold, heaviness, body pain, burning eyes and shivering. How to get relief?

Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi,

Just to brief you, I was shivering last evening in office with burning eyes and heavyness, body ache. Today morning when i woke up i had a bit of body ache which went away after warm water bath. Right now again im begining to feel cold and shivering again. I dont feel feverish though but eyes burning and heavyness kindly advise. I do get abdominal cramps before passing motion. The motion is normal.Just to update further, I could feel my head being hot and my ears turning red and hot as well last evening when i was shivering.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 20 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for sharing your concern.

There are couple of possibilities in your case.

1. Viral fever
2. Some G.I.Infection.

The symptoms that you have like shivering, body ache etc are due to fever.

Please do following which should help.

-Take proper rest
-Eat light diet, avoid heavy food, and take more of fruits and salads
-Drink plenty of liquids, soups, juices etc are better
-Take fever medication that you have with you for body ache, this will help to maintain your day to day to routine.
-For pain in abdomen you can take antispasmodic tablets that you are comfortable with.

Please visit your doctor in case the fever rises and frequency of stool increases and you do not start feeling well in a day or two.

I hope this helps.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow up: Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 days later
Hi, As advised by a doctor i conducted a regular CBC blood test, Widal test, malaria test and Dangue test.
Malaria and Dangue results were negative blood test results have also come normal except Red Blood cell count is 5.55 (HIGH).

The Widal test shows S TYPHI 'H' ANTIGEN TITRE 1:160 normal range is < 1:80.

Please advise future course of action.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you again.

Only positive Vidal test does not carry any clinical significance. High titre with H may be due to past infection or vaccination, does not denote active infection in most of the cases.

Rising titre of O is important.

Still in case you have fever, you can discuss options with your doctor for taking antibiotics for treating fever.

Vidal test alone does not carry much importance now in country like India, where Typhoid present round the year.

Your doctor will take a call after taking in to consideration your complaints, general condition etc.

Do not worry; you are not having any major issue.

Keep taking good light food, plenty of liquids and you will be fine.

Wishing you speedy recovery and good health.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow up: Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 3 days later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for your response. As advised by my family doctor it is an infection and will take time to cure.I was taking CIFRAN 500 twice a day as advised with light food and Bifilac tablet thrice a day, since last two days i have mouth ulcers and the medicine has been stoped. However the fever continues every evening which is mild and ranges arround 100.

Any partiular reason why this infection is taking such a long time to cure, should i go for a second opinion? Please provide me your advise on the same.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 43 minutes later
Hi, XXXXXXX

Any fever when persists long can lead to development of mouth ulcers.

Normally after starting antibiotic fever should respond(means either the fever goes down,or the duration between fever increase)in 2-3 days.

Still if after taking antibiotic for more then 3 days,fever does not respond than one has to rethink about diagnosis.

Please discuss with your doctor about possible options.

In such case repeat blood counts,sonography of abdomen and X XXXXXXX is required is have proper clue about the diagnosis.

If your doctor feels you can consult a physician or seek second opinion also.

Please take light diet,proper rest and plenty of liquids.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr.Pragnesh