Felt a lump at the lower end of esophagus. What to do?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Lymphoma
Question: can feel a lump at the lower end of eusophocus
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 50 minutes later

Lump in lower esophageal region can be due to various causes like hiatus hernia, achalasia cardia(obstruction),diverticulum,enlarged lymph node,polyp or cancer.

All such cases should be investigated with barium swallow, esophagoscopy and if needed CT scan.

Investigations are the only way to determine the cause and only after that appropriate treatment can be planned.It's always advisable not to ignore such symptoms.

So ideal next step would be to see gastroenterologist and get investigations done.

Please ask if there are doubts.Hope this answers your question.

Regards.