Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

175 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Felt a hard and sore growth under skin near breast. What is causing this and cure?

Answered by
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 5770 Questions

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have a vertical hard growth right under the skin on my right SIDE that goes from under my right breast down about 6 inches long down my rib cage. It started out about 4 weeks ago very sore and the hardest and widest part was about 2 inches down on the 6 inch growth..felt about the size of a pencil. Now the middle about three inches is larger that the rest but not as large as it was about a week ago and is no longer sore. It feels about the size of three spaghetti noodles..only way I can think of to describe it. Originally I thought it was a vein that had hardened some how. The skin is not discolored and you can not see it just by looking. It feels like gristle or maybe cartilage.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later

Thank you for the query.

It would be easier to answer your question if you could attach some photos of it.
However if it was painful, it means that it was infected, probably filled with pus. Is this growth movable? Is it hard as a bone or little bit softer? Does it appeared suddenly?
What you may suffer from is sebaceous cyst, lipoma, osteochondroma, breast cyst or other breast related tumor. Most of this tumors are benign.
To get this thing diagnosed ribs X-ray, chest X-ray and soft tissues ultrasound should be performed with biopsy if any doubts.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 days later
It feels like a tube like piece of rubber.You can barely see some of it right under the skin.It is longer than the part you can see. It feels like it is about 6 inches long. It gets smaller in both directions and I am not sure if that is it or it just gets deeper and I can not feel it. I had gallbladder surgery in 2005.The reason I mention it is because there are some laproscopic scars kind of close to the lump.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later

It is possible that this lump is associated with this laparoscopic holes however it should appear earlier, not 7 years after the surgery. In same very rare cases some part of abdominal cavity (like omentum) can migrate throughout this little abdominal hole upward under the skin. But it is like almost impossible.
It will be very hard to help you without any tests and not seeing it (maybe photo of it would tell something). That is why I`m kindly suggest you to have at least soft tissues ultrasound of this area performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests