Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Fell on steps, was in pain. Had limping, swollen and bruised. X-ray of ankle was normal. Treatment?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
In XXXXXXX I fell on some steps and my XXXXXXX went underneath the stairs. I was in terrible pain and my XXXXXXX was throbbing, but I went to bed and figured it would feel better in the morning. In the morning I was limping and my XXXXXXX was swollen and bruised. I saw a doctor that day, and because I was so tender and flinched to the touch, I was sent to get x-rays. The x-rays, for some reason, were of my ankle, which did not hurt. Anyways they found nothing and advised me to take it easy. Fast forward to now where it is very slightly tender, but to the touch it is strangely hard, like I am touching bone. The bruise is still there along with slight swelling. It is unlike anything I have ever had, and makes me nervous. What is it/ should I have it checked out further
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Propably it could be an Organized Hematoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

If you are able to walk normally bearing full weight on the leg, there a fracture in the involved leg is unlikely.

It seems from the description that your hard and slightly tender swelling could possibly be an ORGANISED or CALCIFIED HEMATOMA. Both of these conditions occur naturally during the course of a hematoma resolution and are HARMLESS.

An Xray of the injured area or an Ultrasound examination or an MRI scan will diagnose this problem.

Generally, this condition doesn't need any treatment but if it is really large or is causing any pressure symptoms, it may need surgical excision.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any clarification

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor