Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Fell on ice. Facing pain while walking. Worried for fracture or bruised bone?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
Fell on ice. 72 years old. got up came into house, took shower and then saqt with ice on hip. Very painful to walk on that side but can move girl around and up and down. Could I have a fracrtuere or a bruised bone. It doesn't hurt when I'm sitting
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

As you have osteopenia every injury gives serious risk of fracture. Even if your symptoms do not point it (human body has great ability to immobilize injured part with muscles spasm for example). Fracture usually gives no symptoms when not moving injured part. Moreover hip fracture at your age gives risk of serious complications.
Soft tissues injury can also be the reason of your symptoms but fracture should be ruled out at first.

That is why you should not neglect it and have simple X-ray performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor