Fell on ankle and heard popping sound. Getting severe pain. Suspected to have strain. Second opinion?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was jogging yesterday, fell on my ankle and it rolled. I heard a loud pop and went straight to the er. They are army doctors and have been wrong many times so I don't trust their opinion. They said its just a strain but I can hardly put pressure on it, when I try to move it I feel a pulling feeling and I tried holding on to a wall and standing on my toes...i could not do it. Not because of any pain but it just would not work. Any opinions?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 minutes later
Hello.
I am Dr.Saurabh Gupta and I am pleased to answer your query.

It might be soft tissue injury,ligament injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid puting weight and rest well.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 minutes later
I had an xray and they said it was too swollen to see anything. I guess I should just go seek a second opinion from a civilian doctor as you said.
It just worries me because the pain comes and goes, my whole foot goes numb at times and as I said before I can not lift my toes all the way nor can I stand on them to do a heel raise per say
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.

You need a repeat x-ray to rule out any fracture. So I again suggest you getting this evaluated by an orthopaedic surgeon.

I hope that clears your doubts.Let me know if you need further assistance.

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon