Owl Image

Fell on ankle and heard popping sound. Getting severe pain. Suspected to have strain. Second opinion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I was jogging yesterday, fell on my ankle and it rolled. I heard a loud pop and went straight to the er. They are army doctors and have been wrong many times so I don't trust their opinion. They said its just a strain but I can hardly put pressure on it, when I try to move it I feel a pulling feeling and I tried holding on to a wall and standing on my toes...i could not do it. Not because of any pain but it just would not work. Any opinions?
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 minutes later
Hello.
I am Dr.Saurabh Gupta and I am pleased to answer your query.

It might be soft tissue injury,ligament injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid puting weight and rest well.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.

Follow-up: Fell on ankle and heard popping sound. Getting severe pain. Suspected to have strain. Second opinion? 14 minutes later
I had an xray and they said it was too swollen to see anything. I guess I should just go seek a second opinion from a civilian doctor as you said.
It just worries me because the pain comes and goes, my whole foot goes numb at times and as I said before I can not lift my toes all the way nor can I stand on them to do a heel raise per say

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.

You need a repeat x-ray to rule out any fracture. So I again suggest you getting this evaluated by an orthopaedic surgeon.

I hope that clears your doubts.Let me know if you need further assistance.

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon