Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Fell from stairs. Little finger got a part from palm. Can it be rejoined?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 394 Questions
Hi Doctor,
My son fell down from stair case and his left hand little finger completely got a part fro the palm from the base where finger joint, please let me know if the finger can be re-joined,

Incident happened on 20-july-2013 at 21.00 hours

Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 23 minutes later

I have read your query with diligence.It looks that little finger of your son has injured & separated after trauma from base. If this finger is taken by putting it in a ice back to a plastic surgeon then this can be realigned. But this should be done with in 2 hours. If not it cannot be salvaged.

If you are very much concerned about this lost finger then you may consult to a plastic surgeon. There are some methods in plastic surgery where they can give finger which works like little finger.

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Fell from stairs. Little finger got a part from palm. Can it be rejoined? 17 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

The finger was taken to KEM hospital withing an hour and was referred to plastic surgery department where the doctor said as the finger is crash it cannot be re-allocated.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 1 hour later
Yes,That is right ,If finger is severely crushed then this can not be implanted due to crushing of vessels & nerves.In such cases it is better to use finger prosthesis after complete recovery.You may ask about this from your doctor.These prosthesis can only be useful when there is some remanent part at base.

Hope this will help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor