Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Fell down on upper back. Started getting breathing difficulty. Could it be pulled muscle?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I FELL ,ON MY UPPER BACK 7 DAYS AGO, YESTERDAY IT HURTS TO BREATH XXXXXXX SNEEZE, SNIFF WORSE TODAY, PULLED MUSCLE? WHY SO LONG FOR PAIN TO START? COINCEDENCE? i started remicade infusion in dec for ulcerative colitis, this new pain is very high, scapula bottom down. about the size of a large hand, but it feels like a muscle, hurt to move.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Very often after such trauma fractures might appear. And as the thorax is very stable structure, minor fractures can be left unknown or can be thought to be something like strained muscle. That is why, it is advisable at your case to have chest x-ray, scapula x-ray and ribs x-ray. If it is only broken rib there is nothing more you should do with it. However if it is scapula fracture or there is an air in the thorax cavity (pneumothorax) it might need further actions.
7 days is way to long for muscle to hurt.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Fell down on upper back. Started getting breathing difficulty. Could it be pulled muscle? 5 days later
I went to the ER because the pain got worse, they did lab ekg catscan of chest; chest xray, told me i had pluerisy, unrelated to the fall......?????????? The pain was exactly where I FELL. ANTIBIOTICS, AND PAIN GONG AWAY.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later

It is obvious that the chest trauma can indicate pleura inflammation. Usually the fluid appears inside the pleural cavity. Antibiotics are very good choice. If you feel it is improving, just go on with antibiotics. Probably you wont need any other treatment.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor