Owl Image

Fell down on stairs. Got painful bruises. How to reduce the pain?

Owl Image
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Question
Hi, I accidently fell down a flight of stairs late last week, I have a number of large size buises which are not so painful and are resolving. My concern is my left XXXXXXX which is also very bruised and has a goose sized lump. I did fracture my left metatarsal. The problem is when my leg is elevated then the pain in my XXXXXXX is bearable and only tender to touch, but when my leg is set down and dependent I can feel my leg filling with blood and the pain is excruciating burning and throbbing. The fracture in comparison doesnt hurt. But the pain in the XXXXXXX and lower extremity is unbearable. It has been that way for the last two days only. It did not hurt this way immediately and three days after the fall only the last two days. How can I stop the pain and should I be concerned? How long will this pain last?
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The appearance of pain, swelling with skin color changes, tenderness, etc are all indicative of hematoma formation either due to a fracture.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray foot and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.
A cast may need to be applied for a complete relief from pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.