Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Fell down on knee. Bruise appeared and feeling cold. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10447 Questions
I fell on my knee today when I slipped on some ice. My knee isn't particularly sore, but it's been consistently cold since the fall. There's a small bruise, but not as big of one as I would have expected given the impact. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
From the symptoms it looks like cold in the area is normal after skin trauma.

However it is important to rule out the formation of a hematoma in the joint or any hair line fracture. For this it is important to get an x-ray limb and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on the area by wrapping ice in a towel and take some Ibuprofen or Tylenol after prescription from your doctor. You can also apply flexall to the area. You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you. These include:

1) Give complete rest to the affected part.

2) Avoid bearing weight on the limb(standing, walking, etc.)

3) You may use a walker to avoid putting a direct pressure on the limb.
In case there is a swelling and pain with an increase in the size of bruise then do consider visiting ER for an immediate evaluation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor