Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Fell down on knee. Bruise and swelling appeared. Should I get it checked?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
7 days ago I fell on my right knee. I have a really bad bruise that is on either side of my kneecap around the back of my knee. The bruise is moving down my leg and causing my ankle to be bruised and swell. I have been icing it and elevate it when I get home from work. Right now half of my foot is bruised and really looks bad. There is a little pain, but I think it is associated with the swelling. Should I have this looked at?
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I appreciate you for the measures you have taken like elevation of the limb.

A bruise can extend to some extent. But if this is extending from the knee to the ankle I suggest you to contact your doctor once for physical examination. Some times he may ask for basic investigations like platelet count or to detect any problems with blood clotting (if the physical examination findings suggest they are necessary). Some times certain drugs like Asprin taken to prevent clotting of blood for some other problem can cause a extended bruise like this.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Take care.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor