Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Fell down on ice. Fluid filled bruise appeared. Required treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10463 Questions
struck elbow during fall (on ice) months ago - clearly fluid in my elbow (bursa) - minimal pain - just fluid is weird and creepy looking -
hate the time and expense of going to a dr. (sorry) when otherwise, i'm 'fine'
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 55 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
After the fall, it seems that you have had an XXXXXXX bleeding in the joint. The fluid in the joint is likely to be haemarthrosis.
The fluid in the joint can get infected and may cause inflammatory changes in the joint. It needs an aspiration or a surgical drainage to avoid these side effects.
In case the fluid is mild then intra-articular steroid injections are given to decrease the inflammatory effect.
You need to consult an orthopedician for a physical examination and proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor