Fell down, got bruise on butt cheek, having rectal pain and difficulty to sit. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Fell this AM going down the stairs. Have large grapefruit size bruise right butt cheek. Had negative sacrum coccyx xrays but have had severe "deep" rectal pain all day cannot sit on bottom even with "donut". Should I be concerned? ??
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
The large grapefruit size bruise is likely to be due to a hematoma formation in the area.
Since the bony injuries have been ruled out, a take a mild pain killer for relief. Avoid sitting for long hours. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
The pain and swelling might take over a week to subside. In case there is an acute pain and a sudden increase in swelling then consult your physician for a direct examination to rule out any infection in the area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
I see that your an Orthopedic Surgeon so I can see why your answer is very similar to my current Ortho Dr. (I am a Lead Technologist in MRI) so I know over the intenet you have to give generic answers. I have acute pain! What can I do to have my Doc order more than plain films and then blow me off when the report comes back negative. I've had two children, 3 kindey stone w/ nephrostomy tubes. This pain "deep" in the rectum ranks up there in that group of pains. How can I explain this better to my Doc?
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the pain is very severe then you can ask for an MRI scan to find out the extent of injury you have suffered. Most of the times such soft tissue injuries are painful and need strong prescription analgesics for pain relief. Oral muscle relaxants may be helpful in case there is some muscle spasm.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.