Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Fell down and noticed bruise on knee and ankle. Sore to touch. Should I go for medical treatment?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
I fell down carpeted steps 1 week ago. Bruising is down inner calf from below knee to (and including) ankle. My concern is a hard knot about 3 inches below my knee and about the diameter of my kneecap. It is sore to touch but not terribly so. Does not hurt when walking. How long should I wait for it to go down before having it checked?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.

A hard knot below your knee with bruise could be due to a haematoma (collection of blood) which is getting organised ( which means fibrous tissue is growing into i to help it heal.

This usually happens when there is a XXXXXXX significant injury to the soft tissues. Most persist for months or years. Some eventually disappear over time, while others either scar over or calicify, leaving a permanent lump.

Rarely they get infected( when it gets red or more tender or bigger), requiring drainage. If they fail to decrease in pain or size over time ( say in a few weeks to about a month), you should have your doctor check them out.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor