Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

128 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Fell down and developed hematoma on top of knee cap. Should I consult a doctor?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My wife was kneeling on a laminate floor, no fall or specific injury, but when she got up she developed a golf-ball sized hematoma on top of her right knee cap. Will it dissipate on its own in time or should we have it looked at by a physician?
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

I have read your query in detail. From description it seems your wife might suffering from Prepatellar Bursitis.

The body will absorb the blood in the bursa over several weeks, and the bursa should return to normal.If swelling in the bursa is causing a slow recovery, a needle may be inserted to drain the blood and speed up the process.So I suggest get it evaluated by a physician first.

Treatment usually starts by trying to control the inflammation which include a short period of rest or possibly a brace to immobilize the knee. Medications such as ibuprofen and aspirin may be suggested by her doctor to control the inflammation.
A knee pad may be useful in making it easier to kneel on the affected knee.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon