Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Fell down and back is numb. X-ray showed clear. How to get relief?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
afew months ago my husband had a slipped disc but t wo weeks ago he felt his back hurt while cleaning that night his left side of his body went numb and could not feel anything all down that side he was taken to hospital where they took bloods and a x-ray which come back clear and was sent home. we were told to see his gp which he was told that there was not alot she could do whent back to the hospital still nothing done . he still has numbness and is needing help to get around where do we go from here
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your husband might be suffering from Prolapsed inter vertebral disc (PIVD).

Numbness and paraesthesia of lower half of body on left side might occur due to pressure over nerve root supplied to that area by the bulging disc.

I advice you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for detail examination and get a MRI of spine done under his/ her guidance to know the level and severity of disc bulging which might helpful in treatment plan.

Meanwhile you can follow the following instructions :-
- Lie on hard bed.
- Avoid forward bending, prolonged sitting and lifting heavy weight.
- Try to reduce weight, if obese.
- Back muscle stretching and strengthening exercises, traction under guidance of physiotherapist. It helps in relieving pressure over nerve root by bulging disc.
- Take anti-inflammatory drug like mortin and methylcobalamin after discussing with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor