Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Fell down and a big knot appeared at hip. Should we go for medical treatment?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
my mom is 82 yrs old and fell on her hip and now have a big knot like the size of a big XXXXXXX
she had a thrombectomy in dec.11. since then she has been on warfarin alternating with one and 2 meligrams daily.she has no other visable injuries. the swollen area is still skin colored and is not bruse colored. should we go to doctor or would it be alright to watch it till morning and see if it is worse.she is walking normally.thank you
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

Based on your description, I feel your mother might have a soft tissue injury at hip. Deeper bruising resulting in blood collection (hematoma) is possible as she is on warfarin therapy. Although you will not be able to see these bruises, they can still swell and cause pain.

Such soft tissue injuries and XXXXXXX bruising resolve with time. However a visit to a doctor to rule out fractures is advisable. In addition, I also recommend getting her INR ratio checked.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns

Wishing you good health...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor