Fell down. Having pain in hip, lower back and started vomiting. Any complication?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: My 89 y/o mother fell 3 days ago (12/11), I imagine there is no fracture since she can walk slowly but complains of slight pain above her right hip and lower back. Overall, she seems OK, but this morning (12/14) she vomited - she had dinner last night and took her daily pills with the meal. Could the vomitting be a consequence of her fall after 3 days or the fact that she took her pills without eating well (she had not taken her pills since the day of the fall) upset her stomach?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, vomiting can be caused by a trauma three days ago. Especially if there was any head trauma with lost of consciousness. Back trauma can also cause vomiting as a result of increased pressure in the spinal cord.
Moreover, even if she can walk after the trauma, it does not mean that there is no fracture. You need to imagine that 89 years old person has much weaker bones and tissues, the pain feeling can be low so she might not complain about anything at all. It is advisable to have injured body parts scanned with an X-ray or if the spinal cord might be injured MRI should be done. Moreover, if the head was involved, CT should be done.
Please do not neglect such symptoms especially in the 89 years old person.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.