Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Feet are swollen after umbilical hernia repair surgery. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 485 Questions
my husbands feet are swollen after umbilical hernia repair surgery what should we do?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vakul Aren 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

A event like surgery may occasionally precipitate potential systemic disease due to increased physical stress.Swelling of the feet is usually due to retention of excess fluid.

If I could think of common things first is immobility after surgery. In such a case as soon as the person starts moving around on the legs, the muscles of the leg (machines) pump up the impure blood faster towards the heart.

At this age I would be interested to rule out of kidney disease/liver disease/anaemia/increased salt intake/phlebitis or venous disorders of the legs like Deep vein thrombosis/drug allergy.

It would help if you were examined by your PCP who can order investigations based on the physical signs found. A haemogram,liver and kidney profile and other investigations will help diagnose the exact cause which can be treated.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feet are swollen after umbilical hernia repair surgery. What can be done? 12 hours later
his feet are still swollen after a nights sleep, he has no pain in his legs just the swelling should I be concerned
Answered by Dr. Vakul Aren 2 hours later

Yes,the swelling of the feet needs to be investigated by your Doctor. As mentioned previously, ruling out kidney disease/anaemia/liver disease/congestive cardiac failure apart from other causes needs to be ruled out.

Reducing his salt intake and use of diuretics like Hydrochlorthiazide may help in reducing the swelling .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor