Feels like swelling and spongy below rib cage. What is going on?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: Hi my lower left back just below ribcage but to towards the back side is feeling watery/spongy since last 2 weeks. Especially when i drink something i kind of feel some process going on inside. It is also swollen when compared to right side..my email address is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It is really hard to connect drinking with left side swollen area. You need to imagine that when you drink something it gets to the stomach (which is in the middle), than to the small intestine and large intestine where the water is absorbed. So if there is no diarrhea, to the area you have described gets only stool without water. The only way the liquid can get there and cause such symptom is some kind of hole in the stomach. However, this would give strong pains, fever and abscess in such place.
Other possible reasons of such strange symptom might be diverticulitis. However both give pain at first.
The best way to have explain what is exactly causing such problem is to make this area ultrasound. Full blood work and urine analysis will tell if there is an inflammation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.