Feels like a burp is stuck in my throat. On prilosec for years. What could be the problem?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: after I eat I feel like there is something in my throat or chest that causes me to swallow air to burb it out this has been going on for about 2 yrs ive been taking Prilosec everyday for 2yrs as a doctor told me that I should take everyday for the rest of my life... it helped at first but lately its not working and its getting worse...I also have a lot of gas that wont move gas x and all the others don't help I wont have insurance until Obama care kicks in so im stuck can you help please I hate eating because of this problem im 5-5 150 lbs I smoke and don't drink
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and i am pleased to assist you.

You are having globus pharyngeus which is a sign of GERD.
Prilosec is very effective.
If you think, it no longer helps, then you may have to switch to other PPI medications like Nexium.
You can discuss with your doctor about taking Nexium instead of prilosec. If its not feasible to consult your regular doctor, you can visit some low cost clinic and ask for a prescription.

You need to quit smoking also for better results.

You need to reduce weight if you are obese and avoid coffee, citrus and fatty food.
Eat smaller meals and go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food.

I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I will go to the doctor and get some nexium if that doesn't work any suggestions
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Both medications and lifestyle changes are important

Detailed Answer:
Not just medication alone, but lifestyle and dietary changes are also very important for complete control of symptoms.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E