Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Feels and sounds like breathing through ear. Suggest?

Aug 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1025 Questions
It sounds like i am breathing through my ear
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 27 minutes later

I am Dr Sriram Nathan and I am an ENT surgeon who will try to help you out with your problem

Now when you say that you are breathing through your ear I am assuming that when your breathe then you feel that air is coming out of your ear right?

This happens when you have a hole or perforation in the ear drum. Now let us see how we go about curing the same:

1. If the feeling is recent (less than 3 weeks) then you can wait for at least two months for the hole to heal. Such holes would have occurred due to a trauma to ear or an acute infection. In over 90%pf these cases the hole will heal in my experience of over ten thousand such cases! Routinely I would advice my patients to take an antibiotic like amoxicillin-clav along with levocetrizine. Both these drugs are prescription drugs. The exact dosage and duration could be prescribed by your doctor.

Furthermore, you need to keep your ear completely dry and avoid even a single drop of water to enter the ear. Also do not meddle or put any ear drops. Wait for at least two months and it will heal. If it does not heal then go to the next point.

2. If the hole does not heal for two months or if you are having the feeling for more than two months then you are to get an Ear examination done along with audiometry and impedance testing and get back to me Witt the report.

The feeling can rarely happen in cold and on having Eustachian tube block also, for this take steam inhalation and get back to me if it persists

Hope I have answered your query and I would be happy to answer any more


Dr Sriram Nathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor