Feeling weird and getting bad thoughts. What's wrong?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Mental Health
Question: I don't know what's wrong with me I've been feeling very weird lately and thinking that my dad is going to die. Nd at timed he acts weirded n does n says things that he never did before.. nd now last night I had bad thoughts that utility was hhappen to my mom. I don't know u f its just me with painc attacks or axity but I need help plz help me I don't if its just me or what. I don't know if it's the pills I be doing drugs. Or depression or axity help plz
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I will certainly advise and guide you regarding your problem. In order to understand your problem better, please provide the following clarifications...

How long have you been having this problem?

How did it start? (suddenly or gradually?)

Has anyone else noticed and told you that you are having these problems?

Are you under any stressful situation recently?

Do you consume alcohol or any other substances of abuse? If so, what and for how long?

Do you have any other symptoms like feeling low, decreased energy, lack of interest, negative thoughts, poor sleep and appetite?

Please get back to me with these clarifications, so that I can advise you in a better way.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow up: Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 22 hours later
I'm not to sure how long this started bit its probley been for about a month or two it came before that I thought this way it went away and came back now its worse then ever.. it started happening suddenly. I feel that I've been stressed to the XXXXXXX and sometimes I get contant headaches n pain in my stomach.and I think negitive thoughts about myself that something is wrong with me and that ima die or something and mainly I have a bad feeling in my body that something is wrong with my dad I think about it contantly and it scares me to death I think he is going to die I think he has a brain anerusyum or something wrong lately I've noticed him acting a lil weird like at times its seems like his voice be changing, changing in speech and he does ood things that is not like him. Ive read up a lil bit online about some of the signs and he shows some of them for having that wrong with him. I dont kbow if he get headaches or any orther signs hat I can't really see cuz he don't say anything to nobody he keep it all to himself I see I'm the only one who has been seening this in my dad I try to tell my mom and she calls me crazy and says he's fine but y do I see him acting weired like he has a brain anersyim or is extremily stressed out that he has theses signs I have no idea but I would really like to know.. he got high blood pressure and high coliestrolle I don't know of that is causing this plz help me figure out what's wrong ..... Now with me like I'm saying I think negitive thoughts about myself and my father I beleive I'm going threw bad axiaty attacks cuz I feel so stressed I don't know cuz me being this way it makes me think that about my dad I don't know but i do know its not in my head cuz I see it with my owe to eyes. My signs are that I feel crazy I'm my head I think crazy I think of my dad dien and sometimes I think it of myself I never had this problem I'm so scared I need to know what's wrong... Yes sometimes I do my pills that I have they are perks that I have percribed to me but I doubt that is y I feel this way and think the way I been because of that. I do them a lot at times but it can't be cuz that..yes I do feel lack of energy lack of interest and do have a head tome sleeping at night falling alseep. Also at times my eyes hurt bad like I just need to lay down and go to bed cuz my eyes feel tired I have to keep rubbing them. Plz help
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 15 hours later

I understand that you are going through a very difficult and stressful time. Now, the problems which you are facing - i.e. fear that something bad will happen to your loved ones, negative thoughts, feeling tensed and stressed, constant headaches, etc. - are all indicative of an Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). You also mention that you are under a lot of stress currently and your problems seem to be making it difficult for you to function normally. Moreover, this amount of anxiety and stress is not good for the body and can put you at risk of developing various medical problems also. So, I think you need treatment to stop these thoughts and relieve your extreme levels of stress.

I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and for starting treatment. You may need anti-anxiety medication to help you relax and get rid of these fears and negative thoughts. The medication will also help you sleep properly, since poor sleep can worsen your problems and cause more stress and fatigue. In addition to medication, there are effective counselling methods available like CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) which will help you change this negative pattern of thinking and help you handle the stress better. There are also relaxation techniques like XXXXXXX breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, etc. which will help relieve your physical symptoms like headache, etc. So, please see a doctor as early as possible. You don't to be suffering like this when there are good treatment options available.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 43 hours later
Yeah I've been reading up online about all this and the signs that I have leads to me having GAD.. but also at times I dont allways beleive its just me thinking the way I have been because of the GAD because my father doeset act normalily all the time he does seem ok bit he seems conguesed sometimes and it seems to look like he's eyes are dilated I don't kknkwif he is stressed or if ys so.ething else like a anursyum. I hope to god its not. U are a doctor can you tell me what some signs would be or how a person would be acting if he was to have it? Maybe it can make me feel better of I knew. I know my signs lead to me having GAD but I also see what I've been seeing in my dad to and it makes my stress even worse ....I am going to my doctors for myself on Monday to tLk to my doctor to tell her what has been going on with me. And ima ask her to give me meds for this problem I'm having...
Question I know I probley seem like crazy or going crazy bit I'm asking u all theses questions cuz I need someone to talk to and to ask these questions to your a doctor so I feel good asking you cuz u would know. Ok if u have highroad blood pressure or high colistrol can it higher your chances of a anersyum or no? I really feel he has it I keep asking you to try to help me figure it put because my dad don't tell me anything he just says he's ok but of course he will tell me that bit I see for myself a differance in him I need help to see if he's ok...
He has a very bad change in his behavier,mood swings, more of a appitate doing really odd things.. can it make u be that way?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 17 hours later
Hi again,

Regarding brain aneurysms, firstly they produce significant symptoms only when they rupture and cause bleeding in the brain. Secondly, you must know that ruptured brain aneurysms are rare and the incidence is 12 per 100.000 individuals per year. Thirdly, if and when brain aneurysms rupture, they mostly produce drastic and prominent symptoms such as headaches, visual problems, weakness or paralysis, seizures, altered consciousness, etc. Having high blood pressure and high cholesterol are risk factors for aneurysms, but only a very small percentage of people with these risk factors go on to develop brain aneurysms. The symptoms which you have described in your dad are very non-specific and do not seem to be indicative of an aneurysm. The changes in his behaviour, mood swings, etc. can be due to a variety of causes, including a depression. But you have to understand that it is neither going help him nor you if you become so stressed out and become dysfunctional yourself. Only if you are calm and composed, will you be able to do the necessary and appropriate things for your dad's problems.

So, I would advise you to definitely seek help for your anxiety (which is no doubt excessive and is causing you distress and dysfunction). Then you can arrange to take your father for a detailed assessment with a doctor to find out if there is anything wrong going on and if necessary, plan further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist