Feeling weakness in hand and constant neck pain. Should I go for brain MRI or neck MRI?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi there.

I'm due for an MRI tomorrow. The Neurologist sent me for a Brain MRI, however a couple of other clinicians (out of hours GPs) think that the problem is in my neck. Restricted movement in neck, weakness in left hand. Constant neck pain. When I related that to my GP he dismissed it without checking my neck.

I emailed the Neurologist through the Patient Support Services but when I phone to check if it's a Neck and Brain MRI, they say it is just a Brain MRI.

Can I ask the radiologist to include even just one picture of my neck? I feel like it could be quite likely source of my problems, as I have had shoulder problems before this. Rather than a TIA / stroke, which they are checking for.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Since you are having problems with your neck and pain in the shoulder, cervical spondylosis is an important possibility which needs to be ruled out.
You can request the radiologist to include the area of neck too while scanning. This would be most appropriate.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.