Feeling weakness in arm. Could it be a sign of stroke?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Stroke
Question: Hi i am 43 yrs old i just had a very funny feeling in both my arms they were very weak & no strength i had to sit & wait for it to go its a feeling thats hard to explain i never had it before i thought i was having a stroke could that be possible.It was a very warm feeling they its like it crept up my arms & it was in both my hands
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause of transient weakness of arms could be a mini-stroke, also called TIA (transient ischemic attack).

It requires evaluation, as many people may have a recurrence of these symptoms, and some can even develop stroke.

Risk factors should be identified and treated (such as Aspirin tablets are helpful in preventing the recurrence of weakness.

An evaluation by a Neurologist is required.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist