Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Feeling weakness after eating or working. Body getting numb and freezing. What is going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
My wife has been ill for over 2years now. After she has a meal or does any moderate activites she will lose all strength in her body and becomes numb and her body will have seizuries during this, she has a feeling of weakness in her stomach and has a rise in her body tempature then can become freezing later. When this happen's the only thing that takes her out of this is to have some chocolate and lay still for awhile. What is going on? They have found low iron and white blood cells and natrium is low. After she has had a meal she feels high and unfocused. This happens everyday. How can we test for glycogen disease.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I can understand your concern about the problem your wife is experiencing. Some of her symptoms may be related to low iron levels that could indicate anemia. Cause of anemia could be any number of things. These include slow blood loss from the digestive tract or kidney or uterine problems in women. The fact that after eating chocolate she feels better indicates she may have some problem with her blood sugar levels fluctuating.
One of the conditions that is associated with this is a tumor that involves the pancreas which produces insulin. "Insulinoma" is a tumor of the pancreas which produces excessive amounts of insulin. This is more common in women and good news is 90% of these are non-cancerous. This causes low blood sugar. The diagnosis is made by simultaneously measuring blood sugar and insulin levels. A low blood sugar with a high insulin level confirms this. I recommend that your wife see an endocrinologist who can advice.
Wish your wife well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor