Feeling weak, having pain in arm and back after eating. What is causing this?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: I have pain in my left arm and back after eating- I can hardly walk and I am very weak
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Hi thanks for writing to us.

Your 69 year old hypertensive having pain in left arm and back after eating.

The No.1 cause of your symptoms could be acid peptic disease. The acid peptic disease leading to gastric ulcer usually causes pain after food. Acid peptic disease also causes reflux of gastric content into the esophagus (food pipe) which causes pain in the chest and back and this pain can radiate to arm.

The commonest cause of acid peptic disease is infection of stomach by H Pylori bacteria.

The other causes include cigarette smoking, spicy food and NSAIDS (pain killers)

The second cause of your symptoms could be myocardial ischemia (decreased blood supply to heart secondary to high blood pressure)

Myocardial ischemia is common in hypertensive persons. Myocardial ischemia can cause pain in the chest radiating to arm and back.

Your weakness could be related to pain after eating. Due to pain after eating your scared of eating and this could lead to weakness.

Keep your blood pressure under control.

I would suggest you to consult a physician for evaluation of your symptoms.

You may need upper G I endoscopy and complete cardiac work up as a part of an evaluation of your symptoms.

Hope this answers your question.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Get well soon.
Dr Sadiq

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E