Feeling weak and started vomiting after consuming alcohol. Will it be safe to give antiemetics?

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello Doctor,
I am XXXXXXX.Yesterday night my husband(35 yrs) had consumed around 300 ml of alocohol.From today morning, he is vomiting continuously and he is not able to eat anything as he vomits everytime he tries to eat anything.He is feeling weak as he has not eaten anything from morning. I gave him glucose solution but that also he vomited.
He is not a very regular drinker and he tells me that he had alcohol before too but never has such bad nausea and vomiting.
What medicines should be given in such case? Can I give him any anti-emetic?Should we take him to the hospital or wait till tomorrow(in case the vomiting stops on its own)?
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later
Hi.

It looks most likely that he has a sensitive stomach with underlying dyspepsia. The binge of alcohol looks to have aggravated the problem with development of acute gastritis.

Did he take metrogyl 3-4 days prior to drink as it can cause adverse reaction like the way he is feeling?

You can give him antacid which are available over the counter with antiemetic medications. However some prescription drugs like antigastric medications (pantoprazole) and antiemetics (ondansetron) are more effective in controlling his symptoms. You can visit a nearby doctor to take a prescription of these drugs.

Besides that, if he has associated pain or persistent vomiting or having blood in vomitus, he needs urgent consultation.

Tell him to avoid binge drinking especially on an empty stomach.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish him a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad