Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Feeling weak and started vomiting after consuming alcohol. Will it be safe to give antiemetics?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 492 Questions
Hello Doctor,
I am XXXXXXX.Yesterday night my husband(35 yrs) had consumed around 300 ml of alocohol.From today morning, he is vomiting continuously and he is not able to eat anything as he vomits everytime he tries to eat anything.He is feeling weak as he has not eaten anything from morning. I gave him glucose solution but that also he vomited.
He is not a very regular drinker and he tells me that he had alcohol before too but never has such bad nausea and vomiting.
What medicines should be given in such case? Can I give him any anti-emetic?Should we take him to the hospital or wait till tomorrow(in case the vomiting stops on its own)?
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

It looks most likely that he has a sensitive stomach with underlying dyspepsia. The binge of alcohol looks to have aggravated the problem with development of acute gastritis.

Did he take metrogyl 3-4 days prior to drink as it can cause adverse reaction like the way he is feeling?

You can give him antacid which are available over the counter with antiemetic medications. However some prescription drugs like antigastric medications (pantoprazole) and antiemetics (ondansetron) are more effective in controlling his symptoms. You can visit a nearby doctor to take a prescription of these drugs.

Besides that, if he has associated pain or persistent vomiting or having blood in vomitus, he needs urgent consultation.

Tell him to avoid binge drinking especially on an empty stomach.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish him a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor