Owl Image

Ask a Urologist   »  

Feeling weak and frequent urination after urethral sling operation via abdomen. Is it curable?

Urologist
Question
Three weeks after my urethral sling operation via abdomen, I have not regained normal bladder function. I need to empy bladder every hour, if not in time I start to dribble. Oh and I had terrible complications- during operation my surgeon nicked a vein and I had massive internal bleeding and needed 4 kg blood. I still feel very weak and wonder if I will ever have noramal bladder function?
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
Sorry to write, but it is mandatory to check bladder function before the sling by means of urodynamic study. Now also, it is not too bad.
If the frequency is still high after about 3 months of surgery, anti-cholinergics can be attempted, if the residual urine is not high.
Hope this answers your query.
Kindly get back for doubts if any.
regards
DR GS

Follow-up: Feeling weak and frequent urination after urethral sling operation via abdomen. Is it curable? 15 hours later
Difficult for me to believe that it takes 3 months to recover from as relatively simple operation. At the moment my condition is worse than before the operation. I experience frequency, leaking and discomfort. Never would I have undertaken the operation if I had known I would end up in this situation.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome back.
It does not mean you will take 3 months to recover. It means that improvement may take a while.
Speak to your doctor to start on anti-cholinergics asap. The medicine will take about 2 weeks to have effect.
Wish you good health,
Best regards
DR GS