Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Feeling vaginal roughness and swelling. What is this and the causes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1851 Questions
Me and my boyfriend were fooling around one day and he told me when he was fingering me the inside of my vagina felt rougher then normal. So when I was showering I decided to check for myself and to me it feels rough and swollen but it doesn't hurt n its redder then normal. My question is what can this be and what causes it??
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Vaginal roughness/smoothness depend on the secretions during arousal. If arousal is less due to any reason, it will lead to less secretions and increase roughness.

Vaginal secretions also depend on female hormone like estrogen. Estrogen levels differ cyclically in body, depending on the day of menstrual cycle.

Your problem can occur due to following reasons (in order of preference):
-Less sexual arousal on that day
-Natural variation in estrogen level in body
-Infection of genital tract: it will lead to excessive secretion from vagina, +/- itching/fever and redness of vagina.

If your problem only for 1 day then no need to worry. If it is still persisting, then get examination from gynecologist, to rule out infection.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling vaginal roughness and swelling. What is this and the causes? 21 hours later
This problem has been for a few days now and I'm imbarrassed to go to the gynocologist. Now I'm feeling pain in the abdomen n burning when I have to urinate. Could a bladder infection cause cause swelling and roughness in my genital area?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 12 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Pain in the abdomen and burning during urination with other symptoms mentioned in primary query, indicate genitourinary tract infection.

You may need treatment with antibiotics after examination. So, visit your physician as soon as possible. Till that time drink plenty of water.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor