Feeling uncomfortable in neck and ear. Thyroid surgery to be done. Hashimoto's thyroiditis?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question:
Waiting for thyroid surgery at end of month my neck and ear are feeling quite uncomfortable is that part of the hashimoto
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 hours later

Hashimotos thyroiditis is an inflammatory disease of the thyroid gland.
The natural history of the disease is initial hyperthyroidism-n hyper functioning of the thyroid gland followed by exhaustion of the gland i.e. hypothyroidism or hypofunctioning of the gland.

During the initial stage of inflammation, the gland may become tender and may cause pain in the surrounding areas.

However, from your history, it is evident that there is associated cancer of the thyroid.
An increase in size of the gland can stretch the nerves and cause discomfort.

At this stage it is doubtful for the Hashimotos thyroiditis to be active.

I hope to have answered your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 15 hours later
Is it possible the cancer has spread into that area. Although it is not as uncomfortable today. The nodule even though it grew, is still small it had irregular margins and microcalcifications papillary and hurthles cells. Do you think I will have to follow up with the iodine treatment I think I mentioned I have only talked to the surgeon briefly and I won't be talking to him again till the end of the month when he does the surgery and introduces me to an endo
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 13 hours later
Hello and thanks for writing to HCM

It is not possible to say how far the tumor has spread before surgery.
If the tumor has involved the entire thyroid gland, removal of whole gland has to be followed by thyroid hormones.
In case the tumor is restricted to one lobe (I guess in your case) surgery consists of removal of one lobe. In this case thyroid hormone replacement may not be required.

In case you have more queries, I will be gad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan