Feeling tired, pain on the side of face with sore and puffy eye. Related to monthly cycle?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I have pain and tenderness on the left side of my face. It often comes after extreme tiredness and I also go through periods when my eyes feel puffy and sore and I feel like I can't keep them open. This is very debilitating when I am working..
These problems (especially the extreme tiredness) may be associated with my monthly cycle. In the two weeks leading up to my period I feel very tired and nauseous. I am generally of very good health other than during this time.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
These are signs and symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome. Its observed by many women.You may feel tired,weak,bloated,nauseaous. However the pain and tenderness is usually not associated with the PMS.You need to consider a nerve involvement and should get examined for that.Palsy is also common but needs to be managed differently. On the other hand, since you're 42,you i would like to rule out any hormonal imbalance.I suggest you get an T3,T4,TSH,LH,FSH done also. Chronic fatigue also may be associated with medical problems.But CFF( chronic fatigue syndrome) can only be diagnosed when other medical causes have been ruled out.