Feeling tired, dizzy, heartburn and lightheaded with irregular period. HPT negative. Worrisome

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: for the past four months I have had irregular periods which are much shorter and more like the end of my period rather than a normal period. I have been suffering from extreme tiredness, heartburn, dizzyness and lightheadness, ad hoc forgetting things, adominal pain in my lower right and at the bottom of my back, some ad-hoc pain in my breasts plus constant hunger, constant need to urinate and wind. I also feel movement in my stomach and pressure which is quite active during the day. My last smear showed borderline changes and I have not been sexually active for nearly 5months. I have taken numerous pregnancy tests which have came back negative.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Since you are not sexually active for last five months, pregnancy is ruled out.
The symptoms that you have are likely to be due to a hormonal disturbance or anaemia. Few blood tests are needed under the guidance of your gynecologist to detect the cause.
The blood test are to check for the causes of irregular periods such as low levels of thyroid hormone, high levels of a hormone called prolactin which is secreted in the brain, high levels of cortisol which is a steroid hormone, abnormal levels of hormones secreted by a gland called the adrenal gland, etc.
Androgen levels (the male hormone, normally found in small amounts in the female- check to see if levels normal), levels of the female hormones FSH and LH.
In addition to abnormal levels of the above hormones the other causes of an irregular period would be stress (either psychological or physical), inadequate nutritional status, excess physical activity, etc.
Please consult your gynecologist for a complete evaluation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.