Feeling tired and have sore breast with an IUD. HPT negative. Could I be pregnant?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi I had the XXXXXXX iud inserted a yr and a half ago
I know have extremely sore breasts , fluid coming out of my nipples , I havnt had a period for 3 mths and I feel very tired
Could I be pregnant?
I did a home pregnancy yesterday which was negative , could it be a faulse negative because of the XXXXXXX ??
I have two children but have been pregnant six times , I have experienced four miscarriages , I feel like I am pregnant again
Please help , XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Firstly,since your pregnancy test was negative then chance of pregnancy is almost nil.The amenorrhea that you have is due to the Mirena.It causes amenorrhea after few months of insertion. So you need not be worried about that.
About the other problem,discharge from the nipples,it could be physiological or hormonal.I suggest that you get blood for TSH,PROLACTIN done asap.Also a breast examination is necessary to rule out local causes like infection,lumps,inflammation.
It too early to rule out anything with an examination and some tests.
First rule out any local breast problems and then do the blood tests to rule out hyperprolactenemia.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 23 hours later
I went to the doctors today and asked for tests u recomended which the doctor thought was stupid but agreed to follow thru with , I get the results on Monday , ill let u know how I go :) thankyou for your assistance !!!
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later
I hope you had a normal breast examination. Hopefully the blood tests will indicate the cause.Otherwise further testing will be required. Did your doctor say why these tests are stupid?