Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Feeling tightness in throat and top of chest. Am I having asthma or throat related problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
I have often wondered if I have asthma or some kind of throat illness? I get a tight feeling in my throat from the back of the mouth down to the top of the chest. The feeling is hard to explain- tight, wheezy, almost like that feeling when you chock on some water and cough it back out then that almost burning feeling you get in the back of your throat -its sort of like that but less wet. This used to happen just sometimes more often in the evening for maybe 10years but because it just lasted the night I never did anything about it . Then over the last the last month or so it has been much worse- every second day maybe- antihistimines (1) helped at first but now it seems not to unless I take a second one which I'm not supposed to do. I begin to get short of breath and remind myself to calm down and breath XXXXXXX which helps but does not eliminate the issue. If I start worrying about it more it gets worse I have to just try and relax but its really quite scarey going to sleep when you can't breath properly. Sometimes my skin starts to feel a bit tingly or itchy on my throat and inside my ears and for some reason my feet.
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later

Relax – Long duration of symptoms and your young age suggest a simple not a serious event.

Loss of sleep of late - is most likely from added anxiety, as you describe
> You need to have investigations –
•     X-ray of the chest and sinuses and basic blood tests like complete blood cell counts.
•     Lung Function Test (Spirometry) can show whether there is Obstructive Lung Disease (asthma) / as also its severity and response to treatment.
•     There are special blood tests for allergy – inhaled or ingested - (RAST / ELISA / Immunoglobulins and compliment – your internist can suggest and order)
> There are additional medicines that can help
- Steroids – locally or orally
- Montelukast (leukotriene receptor antagonist)

My suggestion is to see your Internist (or Pulmonologist) – get yourself examined first.
The next step is to get yourself investigated – the aim of investigation is support the diagnosis and/or to modify the treatment based on the results. ‘Seeing’ is believing / seeing is confirming.

My impression is that you will do very well.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor