Feeling thirsty and started breathing faster. What is causing this?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Question: Hi my 11 year old daughter has noticed she is breathing more faster from her chest no difference she says day night after exercise etc. and I've noticed and she has told me she is really thirsty most of the time she is on no medication very healthy normally very fit 4foot 7 inches tall 5 stone 4 Llb so about 72lb I think slim build good diet she has said her urine is darker this week? It sounded to me like an over active thyroid? But not sure on the thirst? Can you advise please many thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM!
The first thought that came to my mind when I read your note is that we must rule out diabetes.
Please check her blood sugar and urine routine .
If it is normal then we should think of other causes.!

Breathing fast can be from heart or lungs! .
If from lungs she should have cold cough or fever.
If it is from heart ,the doctor should be the one to identify.
Of course there are some other causes also.

Dark urine means concentrated urine due to mild dehydration.
The other reason for dark urine is jaundice and hepatitis.

This is not the picture of overactive thyroid.!

Anyway please get her examined by a pediatrician or Gp for evaluation and investigations.

God bless
Dr Uma