Feeling something stuck in throat with slight discomfort. Is it due to acid reflux or smoking?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For past 5 years i am feeling like something stucK up inside my UPPER PART OF NECK - THROAT.
i CONSUTLED MORE THAN 6 TO 10 ENT DOCTERS.They diagonised me it's because of Acid-Reflux,Acute Pharyngitis and Smoking(I am a light smoker for past 8 years).If i feel hungry i feel pain/discomfort in UPPER PART OF NECK - THROAT.After i taken food it diSapperars or in that time i will sallow saliva/drink water.Sometime i feel the pain and sometime not.
I am very much worried ,what is the problem.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Do not worry.
Symptoms for 5 years without other significant developments means it is not serious!

Post-nasal discharge or Allergy is the first possibility – but should have been suspected and evaluated by so many specialists...

If it is acid / reflux, you should have an upper GI Endoscopy, by a Gastro-enterologist.
Pro-kinetic agents like domperidone and Proton Pump Inhibitors like Omeperazole should help.
Delaying sleep for a few hours after meals / Sleeping with head elevated help.

Sometimes it could have Psychological base – ‘Globus Hystericus’
Counselling may help

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck