Feeling skipped heartbeat after smoking or drinking alcohol. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello, every now and then i feel like my heart is skipping a beat.
This happen very infrequently, i have had it maybe 5 time in the whole year.
Shall i be concern, i am 33 years old with no history of heArt disease, but i notice
That this happen when i drink alcohol in excess or after i smoke a lot of cigarettes,
Please give me an advice.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Such skipped heart beat feeling is quiet common and in most cases are harmless with no treatment needed.In most cases the underlying cause is not known.

But one does need a primary evaluation for any underlying cause.So a clinical evaluation and investigations like EKG, 24 hours EKG monitoring and 2D echo can be undertaken.

In most cases no treatment is suggested and wait/watch approach is undertaken.In some case few prophylactic medications can prescribed.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.