Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Feeling skipped heartbeat after smoking or drinking alcohol. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
Hello, every now and then i feel like my heart is skipping a beat.
This happen very infrequently, i have had it maybe 5 time in the whole year.
Shall i be concern, i am 33 years old with no history of heArt disease, but i notice
That this happen when i drink alcohol in excess or after i smoke a lot of cigarettes,
Please give me an advice.

Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Such skipped heart beat feeling is quiet common and in most cases are harmless with no treatment needed.In most cases the underlying cause is not known.

But one does need a primary evaluation for any underlying cause.So a clinical evaluation and investigations like EKG, 24 hours EKG monitoring and 2D echo can be undertaken.

In most cases no treatment is suggested and wait/watch approach is undertaken.In some case few prophylactic medications can prescribed.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor