Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Feeling sick, took flu medicines. Had chills, fever and body aches. What can this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
Hello. I live in the Dominican Republic. How do I know if I have dengue or just a flu virus? I first got sick a week ago. I took flu meds and thought I was almost over it. But two days ago I got the chills, a high fever and body aches. Now my fever is lower but my back still hurts. Fever 98.8. Here they say that a virus can turn into dengue. I don't believe that. Yesterday I had a brief breakout, like hives, on my hand. Almost like an allergic reaction. But today's it's gone. I thought it might be because of the fever. What do you think?
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dengue IgM, IgG and platelet count

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Dengue is accurately diagnosed with the help of its clinical presentation along with laboratory blood investigations. The blood tests are required as the clinical presentation is similar to most viral infections.

Blood tests include testing for dengue antibodies called IgM and IgG. Both of them are easily detectable after 5 days of the infection. IgM is specifically helpful in detecting an active infection, also a re-infection (which could also be possible in your case), and is detectable in the blood for almost 30 days after the initiation of an infection. I would recommend testing for IgG and IgM dengue antibodies along with your platelet levels (which can drop in dengue resulting in a rash, which is positive in your history).

I hope this information helps you ma'am. Wishing you lots of luck and hoping you recover at the earliest.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling sick, took flu medicines. Had chills, fever and body aches. What can this be? 3 hours later
But you didn't explain the difference in the symptoms. Could you please?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
My apologies, differences explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

I shall surely help you with that information.

Dengue fever has the following symptoms, in order of their occurrence:
-Continuous fever and headache to start off with
-Then progresses with the appearance of nausea, sore throat, vomiting, sore throat, cough, and abdominal pain
-Cold extremities, weak pulse, Blue extremities or blueness around the mouth

Whereas, a flu-like virus would have the following symptoms:
-High temperature
-Runny and congested nose
-Muscle and/or joint pain
-Gastric symptoms like diarrhea
-Loss of appetite
-Difficulty sleeping due to flu-like symptoms being aggravated with the supine position

There is considerable overlap among the symptoms between the two condition and in practical set up (doctor's clinic) it is extremely difficult to differentiate the two based on symptoms alone.

I hope this information helps you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a beautiful life thereafter.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor