Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Feeling short of breath. Feeling weird and tired. Complaining of indigestion problem. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
My girlfriend is 27 years old, 168 cm in height and weighs kg. Her heart rate is currently 77 beats per minute. she feels slightly short of breath as if she is a little wounded. She is telling me she feels a little weird and tired ( it is past bed time where we are located) and is complaining of a indigestion feeling. When i checked her heart rate it seems to be a little out of rhythm when she exhales. Should I be concerned or taking her to a medical facility at this point? Would a 10mg Valium be of any assistance?

Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Heart rate 77 is in referential ranges. It may be accelerated in case of stress, physical activity, tiredness, low blood pressure. Valium is not a solution. It works on brain and does not affect heart. Moreover it can be addictive.
Shortness of breath can be caused by asthma or stress as well. Asthma is quite often associated with acid reflux disease what can give indigestion feeling.
If she has some bleeding after miscarriage, low hemoglobin level can be also the reason of her weakness, shortness of breath. She should have pale skin in case of low hemoglobin level.
She is a young person so serious heart problem seems hardly possible. So no urgent help is required. I suggest her to start Magnesium 400 mg supplementation (this should normalize the heart), start Omeprasole 20 mg once a day (in the morning before any meal), avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee, soft drinks.
If she has any asthma inhalers, she should take them in case of breathing problems. If the symptoms wont go away in a day or two, than she should visit her doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor