Feeling run down and achy. Blood work and CT scan were normal. Had an ovarian cyst rupture. Is this leukemia?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hello, I had blood work done in Aug of this year, CBC, liver enzymes, etc. I also had a CT scan done of my abdomen and chest up to nipple area. All blood work and CT scan were normal, other than I had an ovarian cyst rupture. The past few weeks I have felt run down and achy, on and off depending on the day. I have no fever or swollen lymph nodes or any other symptoms other than the run down, achiness on/off. I googled my symptoms and read about acute leukemia and am totally freaked out. Would by blood work in August shown anything? Could I get leukemia in 10 weeks? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. It would help if you could tell me more about the ovarian cyst rupture. If you have been treated for that by any surgery or hospital admission and if any medications were given to you for it. Feeling run down and achy occasionally may have many causes. It can be from your dietary intake, your regular work, any mental stress related anxiety or a medical condition. Leukemia is not diagnosed in all patients having tiredness and fatigue. Some of the common symptoms of leukemia are the following: Fever and night sweats. Headaches. Bruising or bleeding easily. Bone or joint pain. A swollen or painful belly from an enlarged spleen. Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit, neck, or groin. Getting a lot of infections. Feeling very tired or weak. Losing weight and not feeling hungry. Diagnosis of leukemia is made based on clinical examination which includes enlarged liver, spleen or lymph nodes. It is important to find high level of white blood cells and low levels of other types of blood cells before suspecting leukemia. If necessary a bone marrow biopsy is also done. There are many other conditions like thyroid disorders, diabetes, cardiac problems, anemia, nutritional deficiencies and hormonal disorders which can cause tiredness and fatigue. Getting leukemia in 10 weeks time is less likely a possibility if you are having just tiredness and feeling run down and no other symptoms (fever, lymph node enlargement, loss of weight, left upper abdominal pain, bleeding easily) as mentioned. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 29 minutes later
I went to the emergency room in August with horrible abdominal pain. They did blood work and ct scan which showed cyst but nothing else and all blood work was normal. I did go back to my gynecologist two weeks later for ultrasound to make sure cyst was gone and it was. I am now on birth control pills to help prevent future cysts.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probably side effects of birth control pills Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in with an update. Birth control pills contain female sex hormones in low dose. Because of these hormones, you may have some of these changes when you take birth control pills: Feeling of being sick to your stomach (nausea) Weight changes Sore or full breasts Spotting or a little bleeding between periods Headaches Sad or nervous feelings Feel tired (more than usual) Dizziness Most symptoms stop within a few days or weeks. If it gets distressing, a discussion with your gynecologist might help. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 17 minutes later
I am on progesterone only pill. Would that have same affect? Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You are welcome and thanks for writing in with an update. The progestogen-only pill is generally well tolerated and side effects are rare. Some side effects can include: acne breast tenderness and breast enlargement an increased or decreased libido (sex drive) mood changes headache and migraine nausea or vomiting stomach upset weight gain These side effects are most likely to occur during the first few months of taking the progestogen-only pill, but they generally improve over time and should stop within a few months. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek