Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Feeling raw inside mouth and hurts to move. What is going on?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
The inside right of my mouth has been raw since Friday. I have no idea what it's from. It hurts real bad when I move my mouth because my cheek must be swolen and my teeth are rubbing against it. It's like a redish, whitish, yellowish color.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 37 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Firstly, your symptoms indicates presence of oral mucosal ulceration which leads to swelling of cheek and feeling of pain. This condition may occur due to trauma caused by rubbing of the teeth against the oral mucosa, infection. Vitamin and micronutrients deficiency and Diabetes may aggravate the condition. Anaerobic bacterial infection is the most common infection in this area. An ongoing dental infection may also lead to this type of condition.

But, the lesion should be examined clinically for confirmation of the diagnosis. I assure you that this is a reversible and treatable condition.

You have to do the followings
1.     Use a good mouth wash 2 -3 times a day. Because poor oral hygiene is another aggravating agent of this condition. So, first step is to ensure a good oral hygiene.
2.     Take a balanced nutritious diabetic diet.
3.     Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents like ( paracetamol / aceclofenac ) to reduce the pain.
4.     Take a multivitamin drug which contains Vitamin B12, Vitamin C and micro-nutrients.
5.     Antibiotic like ciprofloxacin should be considered for controlling the infection.
6.     A second antimicrobial agent like metronidazole / ornidazole group of drugs should be added to control the anaerobic bacterial infection.
7.     You should check your present fasting and postprandial blood sugar level. If it is abnormal then consult with your endocrinologist for a good control of the blood sugar level. Because high blood sugar level will aggravate the condition and it will delay healing.
In our clinical experience the above mentioned drugs are enough for this condition.

You should consult with an Ear Nose Throat specialist / dentist for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering the investigations required and for prescribing the above mentioned antibiotics according to the situation.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor