Feeling pressure on ear. Noticed nostrils enlarged. No throat pain. Had tonsillitis. Suggest?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dear Sir, I am 27 y/o male, for the past 20 days I have felt pressure on my right ear. The ear pressure sometimes is very mild but sometimes more prominent. For the past two weeks I have also noticed that my right tonsil is enlarged but the left tonsil is fine. I get headaches in the afternoons most of the days (no particluar area on head) but it clears away after I sleep. There are no noticable white or red marks on my tonsil. I do not have throat pain or cold. I have had acid reflux on and off over the past year. Also I have had tonsilitis (both tonsils) three months back which cleared away after a 5-day course of antibiotics.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 17 minutes later

Do you have discharge from the ear? Did you have fever in the recent times? Did you have a blow at the ear?

I would first think of migraine headache, recurrent sorethroat (because of GERD) and Flu.

The fullness in the right ear appears to be originated from the middle ear cavity that communicates to the exterior through the external ear. The reason for fullness could be because of fluid, air.

Either of them accumulates because of the hole in the tympanic membrane, or discharge trickling from the brain or because of the nasopharynx infection. These are the entry point for the infection or allergens. So I suggest to get the middle ear cavity examined by ENT surgeon through the special device. Once this is confirmed they can start treatment.

Acid reflux can be a culprit sometimes which favors such problems like the previous tonsilitis. You can speak to the ENT surgeon about the use of proton pump inhibitors. IF the culprit be GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux) then you need to address this with life style modifications.

They include, 40 min walk per day, loose clothes, no coffee milk and peppermint, no smoking and alcohol.

Let me know if you are clear till now. Do you have any specific questions?

Thanks for the opportunity.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply. I dont have ear discharge or had fever at recent times. I did not have a blow at the ear either. I have ringing sound on both ears (more prominent on the right ear). Is it possible that the enlarged right tonsil is blocking the air pathways in the ear causing this pressure.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
If you have ringing sound in both the ears it is not a good symptom. I suggest you an ENT examination right away. I sure your local GP can check do basic ear nose and throat examination and diagnose the condition. Enlarged right tonsil is not associated with bilateral tinnitus (ringing). Even if it is the other reasons needs to be evaluated before labeling it on enlarged tonsil.

There is hardly anything that you can do to avoid this symptom at home. The medication used are prescription based only which is available after examination.

Hope this clarifies.