Feeling pain in lower bladder during bowel movement and urination. What am I suffering from?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: when I urinate or have bowel movements i have a sore hurt pain feeling on left lower side near bladder and for awhile afterwards my urine looks clear tho also a nerve like pain in my left hip with gas when I have both urination and bowelmovements hurting right now I have to use heating pad to quell it
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms usually are caused by sigmoid colon diverticulitis. Diverticles are some kind of small herniation in the large intestine wall. Mainly caused by constipations. So if you do have had constipations, or there was some blood in stool, diverticulitis is very probable.
urinary tract infections can be caused by diabetes.
It is advisable for you to have some diagnostics. You should start with abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, CRP, urine analysis. If in this tests WBC and CRP will be elevated and no changes in urine, this is diverticulitis. In such case you should have antibiotics prescribed.
After a month of antibiotics therapy, colonoscopy should be performed (having colonoscopy when diverticles are inflamed can cause large intestine perforation).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 hours later
IN ANSWER TO YOUR STATEMENT ABOVE
I have had a full body MRI LAST YEAR and recent bloodwork from a physical a few months ago also I have had TWO COLONOSCOPYS IN THE LAST NINE YEARS SAYING I HAVE A SPASTIC COLON AND IBS ( LAST ONE 4 YEARS AGO )
ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION THAT LAST WEEK I HAVE HAD ACID REFUX THREE TIMES I STILL FEEL A LITTLE QUESYS DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE A VIRUS I WAS TAKING A DIGESTIVE AID BUT HAVE STOPED MAYBE IT GAVE ME TO MUCH ACID ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO I HAD ALL THESE SYMTOMS AND THEY WENT AWAY,
MAYBE BAD BACTERIA I WENT TO THE DOCTOR THEY SAID MY URINE WAS CLEAR A FEW WEEKS AGO BEFORE THE ACID REFUX AND BLADDER PAIN STARTED SO WHO KNOWS ? PRAYING ITS A VIRUS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN SO FATIGUED AND MUSCEL ACHES BACK ETC............
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Colonoscopy 4 years ago and urine analysis few weeks ago do not rule out diverticulitis and symptoms. It mostly gives cold like symptoms, not urinary tract infections.
So I do kindly ask you to start with urine analysis and blood sugar level check. Urine tract infection is usually not life threatening if treated with antibiotics.
Abdominal CT can not reveal diverticuls in large intestine. Moreover, 4 years is just enough time for diverticuls to get created.
If it is about acid reflux, it can be due to intestines function impede by mentioned diseases or it can be caused by acid reflux disease, peptic ulcer or mucosa. So if your acid reflux symptoms will not go away, it should be verified with upper GI endoscopy.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
HI THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY
A FEW DAYS AGO I HAD A URINE TEAT DONE THEY SAID IT WAS CLEAR,,,,,,,,,, HOWEVER MY LAST BLOOD WORK FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS SHOWS I DO HAVE HELICOBACTER PYLORI ... BUT THE DR DID NOT THINK IT WAS CAUSING ME PROBLEMS AT THE TIME SO HENSE I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED FOR IT I DO KNOW MY STMACH GETS BLOATED AFTER EATING THE ACID REFULUX SEEMS OKEY NOW... HOWEVER THIS MORNING THAT SAME NERVE PAIN OVER LEFT BUTT SIDE AND DOWN INTO FRONT ON TOP OF BLADDER IS BACK IN WAVES A HEATING PAD TAKES IT AWAY SOME ITS LIKE A MORE GASTRIC FEELING PERHAPS I SHOULD SEE MY GASTROLGISTS SOON THE ONE WHO GAVE ME THE COLONOSCOPY IF THIS PERSITS ,,,, BUT HE DID SAY I HAVE IBS AND SPASTIC COLON LAST TIME MAYBE I SHOULD TAKE MORE FIBER AGAIN THATS WHAT HE TOLD ME AND I FORGOT BECAUSE I STARTED DIGESTIVE AIDS FROM ORTHO CO AND I WAS OKEY FOR LONG WHILE BUT THEY HAVE BUILT UP THE ACID I THINK SO I QUITE A FEW DAYS AGO NOW I HAVE THIS IBS BACK............. ITS TOUGH TO BE OLD HA HA
WHEN YOU SAY URINE ANALYSIS DO YOU MEAN MORE THEN JUST A URINE SAMPLE CHECK DIP STICK THAT THEY QUICKLY DO ? IN OFFICE MAYBE I HAVE IT BUT DOSE NOT SHOW WITH SIMPLE TESTS I DID THE 24 HR ONE A FEW YEARS AGO YES YOU ARE RIGHT I SHOULD HAVE ANOTHER BLOOD SUGAR TEST TOO BUT IF THE H P IS ACTING UP MAYBE I SHOUD HAVE THAT ADRESSED AND ALL THE SYMTOMS WOULD GO AWAY I HOPE I HAVENT CONFUSED YOU THANKS XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Hello!

Urine dipstick test is not a very good for infections diagnostics. It should be regular test performed in the medical laboratory where the machine counts red blood cells, leukocytes and urine crystals. Moreover during such analysis, your urine is checked with the microscope for bacterias presence. As you can see, such test can tell much more than dipstick test.
I do write about this urine analysis because your symptoms are very characteristic for urine tract problem. If not infection, than stones are also possible (there can be no changes in the urine except some blood cells and crystals).
Helicobacter Pylori blood test is not an indicator of present infection. It only tells that you have had contact with this bacteria. But it does not tell if the infection is still present. The only and most trustworthy test is the one performed during upper GI endoscopy. But it is very unlikely for Helicobacter Pylori infection to cause symptoms other than acid reflux and stomach burning. So this bacteria do not causes your urine-tract-like symptoms.
If it is about diverticles, spastic colon can cause its appearance. There is an other way to check for diverticles than colonoscopy. It is possible to see such diverticles in abdominal ultrasound (but you need to tell the doctor who is performing it that he should look for it). Such ultrasound will also be able to tell if there are any stones in the kidneys (can be invisible in MRI).

Regards.