Feeling of obstruction in throat, nostril blocked. Taken medication for acid reflux. Linked symptoms?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I am a 36 year man. I have this feeling of something stuck in my throat, just below my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I thought that it might be acid reflux but the medication I am on is not working. My right nostril is also blocked as is my right ear, could there be a link? I do not really have any other symptoms of acid reflux but heard you can get silent acid reflux with no other symptoms. Any help would be good. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The problem in the throat you have could be an infection or ulcer in the throat (Laryngeal) mucosa , they do produce a feeling of foreign body in the throat.The infection or the ulcer cause swelling/oedema in the throat mucosa and produce such a feeling.

The commonest cause of above conditions is acid reflex as you doubt.A better antacid for a minimum of 2 weeks would surely cure the condition.

Yes, the ear blockade and nose disturbances can be related to the above condition as they are internally connected.This do not pose any problem to other structures.

I would ask you to take Tab PRILOSEC OTC one in the early morning before breakfast for 2 weeks.This will surely reduce the acid reflex and help the throat mucosa to be healed.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 16 minutes later
Thank you very much for your advice, I have been prescribed Nexium esomeprazole is this any good for my symptoms? This is a re-acurring problem of mine, I have no pain or problems eating. Any more advice would be great.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Nexium (esomeprazole ) is one of the better brands and has shown good results in many.

It only needs a minimum course of 2weeks taken in 3 cycles with a gap of 2 weeks in between.This course will surely put an end to the problem completely.

Hope I answered your doubts.

regards,